Thursday, April 03, 2008

So pitiful!

Last night after feeding Natalie around 3:30 I went back into our room and tried to fall asleep. The next thing I know I look up and see our bedroom door opening. At first I was confused trying to process what is happening and then I get nervous and then sweet little Melanie is coming in with her step stool. She climbs up on our bed. I a little bit want to laugh but then I try to explain it is not time to come in our room yet. (She is only beginning to master coming out of her room when she wakes up...we are only on about week 2 of this process.) She is crying saying that her doll, Jessica's, hat fell off and she needs help putting it on. I'm thinking whatever...it is the middle of the night- Clint, go put on the hat and put her back to sleep. Sweet Clint however is actually concerned about Melanie whereas I was concerned about my sleep and says, "Leslie, I think she has a temperature." I touch her and holy cow she was burning up. We have been super fortunate with Melanie and she never gets sick. She has had a couple of colds in her life but that is it. So I go digging around in the kitchen and find her thermometer and Tylenol and juice (she requested juice please) and head back upstairs. Well, I haven't taken Melanie's temp since probably last summer. I don't know at what age kiddos can go under the tongue- some of students at work can't even do that yet so since it is the middle of the night I go with old trusty- the booty temp. Melanie thinks this is the worst plan she has ever heard of. She keeps screaming I am hurting her bottom and I finally (after the longest 10 seconds ever) get a temp of 101.2. So, I give her a dose of Tylenol which she doesn't take as well as she used to and let her sleep with us. I guess Clint decided that plan sucked so he slept on the couch and I had Melanie squished as close to me as possible coughing and sweating on me as I am about to fall off of the bed. So I had that intermingled with Natalie feedings. Melanie woke up with no temp but still a yucky cough so obviously no school today for her- we are having cartoon day instead. I am just praying Natalie gets no part of the sickness. Temps in babies are not funny and require a trip to the hospital which I want no part of so I am trying to keep the girls apart and I am using super amounts of hand sanitizer for me going between the two girls. But hopefully this will be short lived and my super immunities will have already gotten to Natalie through some breast milk and Melanie's will still be lingering around!

On a completely different note: We attempted Mexican last night (our normal Weds night ritual) for the first time since Natalie was born. Our friends, the Teck's, came with us even though they haven't in a while. So it was 6 adults (Chris, Aileen, TJ, me, CLint, and Amy) and a 3 year old, 2 year old, 1 year old, 3 week old, and a fetus. Holy Cow!!! 6 chairs and 4 high chairs= chaos! But it was fun and funny- the manager guy told us we had to stop having kids b/c he'll have to order more high chairs but little does he know Aileen's baby will be here in October....TJ & Becca- what are you thinking? J/K :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yucky, I hope she's feeling better soon! I thought she wasn't there today-I wasn't sure if I just missed you guys or if she stayed out. AND I was hoping it wasn't b/c her friend Grace bit her AGAIN!!! We are so sorry again Melanie...:-( Grace is hopefully learning from her bad behavior!

Anonymous said...

Ruth says:
Oh dear! Hope Melanie feels better soon, and those sick germs don't spread!
I like the new background!