Saturday, April 12, 2008

Are you smarter than a 2 year old?


Sleepy baby (in black and white you can't see the sun on her face- which is MUCH better today).


Enjoying her first popcicle of the season- she is much better with them this year than last!


Melanie giving baby Jimmy a bath at my parents yesterday.

Apparently we are not smarter than a 2 year old.

Last night we tried to put Melanie to sleep. Melanie used to be the easiest child to get to sleep ever. But since she has been sick she created an all new routine that involves lots of crying and bargaining. Last night she cried, and cried, and had umpteen million request (books, water, babies, kisses, etc.) Well, her request with Clint was for him to turn on her heater. He explained no, that it was too hot for a heater. So, the heater remained unplugged sitting off to the side in her room. Wouldn't you know it...I went to check on her later and listened outside of her door without opening it and I heard the heater. So, I came downstairs and explained this to Clint and he went up there and she had plugged in and turned on her heater (and had it on Max so it was about 95 degrees in her room). Well, when he took it out all heck broke loose again and it was another many minutes of hysterical crying before we were able to calm her down and make her go to sleep.

Then, this morning, I went to take out the mail. Clint was at work and Natalie was in her bouncy seat. I have to close the door behind me or Shelby will run out. Well, for 2 years and 4 months this has been a nonissue. However, today as I was returning from my 30 seconds away I realize Melanie had locked me out of the house. We have a child-proof thing over the door knob and I didn't think she could reach or know what to do with the deadbolt but boy was I wrong. I went over to the neighbors and asked to borrow their phone to call Clint to come home and let me in. Chris was going to try and jump our fence to check if the sliding glass door was locked (normally it isn't but of course it was)...but thankfully Melanie turned out to be smart enough to unlock the door with my directions and let me in. She thought this whole plan was quite fun and was saying "hi" and "watcha doing" to me on the other side of the window. So, she only had to babysit Natalie for a total of about 5 minutes but good grief!!! I guess I am going to have to take my keys or Melanie with me when I check the mail or get the newspaper now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW! Isn't it amazing how smart and manipulating they are at this age? I'm told that at 3 it might get worse...Lord help us!