Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Eventful Week taming the "Baby Dragon" AKA Melanie

Boy has the week since vacation been eventful! We started Monday with her first day of gymnastics at Little Gym. It was quite different from our trial class. I really like our teacher, Ms. Melissa. She is great with the kiddos. However, Melanie's class is for 10-18 month old children. So, needless to say at 17 months Melanie is the oldest and most mobile by far. About 1/2 of the class are still crawlers and there are about 5 or 6 other kids that can walk and one little boy is about as good as Melanie. So, let me start from the beginning...I get there early to schedule our makeup class from vacation. There is a basket of toys in front and Melanie goes right to playing with the them. The other kids start to trickle in and I begin to realize how young they all are. Melanie proceeds to start stealing toys from the other kids and they cry so I give the toy back and Melanie lays on her back and pitches an all out fit. Parents are asking me, "So how old is she?" I'm sure they are thinking..."isn't she needing to be in the next class up b/c my angle doesn't need to be around this dragon." Finally we get to go in. The class begins with sticks and bells playing the instruments to songs- Melanie loved it and caught right on. She was being a star until it was time to put the instruments up in which she threw another fit- lovely! Then we got to play on all of the equipment. Melanie was in heaven! The teacher uses which ever kid is closest to her for an example and Melanie would run over so she could be the 2nd example each time- drama! She still hated the balance beam and wouldn't even put her feet on it. She is gettting really good at forward rolls. SHe will reach up high and then touch the ground, put her head down and I help her roll. Then the teacher brings out balls- Melanie is having a field day....until time to put them up- a fit yet again. MElanie HATES being told that something is finished. I was sweating by the time we left- I high tailed it out of there- just grabbed her shoes and stuck her in the carseat to begin drama Part II....
Monday was our first day without the pacifier. Nap was AWFUL!!!!!! She asked for it the whole way home from gymnastics and I would tell her "no" and we listened to the cult of the wiggles yet again. It took her 2 1/2 hours of throwing fit to go down for a nap...AAAAHHHHH!!!! She had red marks all under her eyes- I probably did to. But, I have to say by bed time she figured it out. She cried for about 5 minutes and then went to sleep. She woke up around 3:45 and cried for a few more minutes and went back to sleep. Yesterday was even better. She went down for nap well and when she woke up she looked at me and said "pa" (her word for paci) and then said "no, no" Silly girl!! SHe isn't sleeping as long but it is working out much better than I thought it would. SHe even saw Drew's paci yesterday and didn't care- WAHOO!
So, drama Part III....
After I took her paci away Monday she started chewing on her fingers and I was thinking great- now she is sucking her thumb. She continued chewing all day yesterday so I opened her mouth and looked in...sure enough 2 more teeth are coming in. She has 4 on the bottom with a space and then a molar on each side and the teeth in between the front four and the molars are coming in. One side is really about to break through- there is a sharp white tip and the other side is almost there. The top 2 do not look ready yet. She will not keep her fingers out of her mouth right now.
So , who knew that so much fun could happen in 3 short days!

No comments: