Tuesday, July 31, 2007

18 month check up/ Vacation


Clint and I at Adrienne Bower's Wedding








Friday we took Melanie for her 18 month doctor appointment. Surprisingly it went better than her 12 month. Melanie only cried when the doctor checked her ears and obviously when she got her shots. For whatever reason she hated the ear check more than the 3 shots. She loved the band aids though and called them stickers. She had pulled them all off before we pulled out of the parking lot. Melanie weighed 25 lbs 2 oz (56th percentile) and was 33 1/4 inches tall (89th percentile). She is getting talller and thinner (if you can consider her bubble belly skinny). I love her doctor. He answered all my questions for me. I have this fear of her in a big girl bed and her roaming the house while we are sleeping. He said I can leave her in a crib until she figures out how to get out- right now she has no clue. I read in magazines how babies should go to the dentist as soon as they get their first teeth and my mom (who works at a dentist) tells me I am crazy and kids don't go to the dentist until they are 3. The doctor sided with my mom. He said unless Clint and I had awful teeth there is no need to go until 3. He checked on her diet (which I think is pretty good). He made sure to remind us only 4 ounces of juice a day and only 2 sippy cups of milk a day. We are great with the milk and we water down her juice a TON however he said just put juice in one of the sippy cups and the rest for the day need to be plain water so she gets used to the taste. Melanie does not love that plan. She only likes water in the bottle (like the Aquafina bottle- not baby bottle) not so much in her sippy cup. So we are trying. He said her molars are coming in now also. Holy cow- the teeth never seem to stop!!!

Clint and I got back from the mountains yesterday. We had a wonderful time. We were bored after a while and needed Melanie and Shelby back around. But, it was nice to relax and the place we stayed was beautiful (and huge!). We shopped around one day but it was mostly antique stores, which as you all know is not my pick! We went to see Harry Potter at the most run down podunk theater I have ever been to. Clint and I appreciated the theaters in Gwinnett for sure! We hit a terrible rain storm one night driving to a restaurant up a mountain and thought we would never make it and I was sure we were going to be eaten by bears getting in our cabin each night from our car (I am soooo out doorsy...yeah right!). We went fishing and didn't get a bite but we laughed a lot after getting caught on rocks. We were happy to get back to our little girl though. All of her grandparents said she was great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE that last picture! So much fun! I'm also struggling on the juice/water issue. I can get them to drink fruity water, but doesn't that defeat the purpose?!! Oh well. I pick my battles. Hope you get to come to TJ's! If not, maybe come to your house with my kiddos! :-)